The University of Pretoria is calling on qualified graduates to apply for its Counselling Psychologist Internship Programme for 2020. Details about UP and its internship offering is available below.
Founded in 1908, the University of Pretoria is a public research university and one of the first few institutions still operating that is awarded university status. From 32 students when it first opened, UP had a student population of about 49,000 in 2015. The University sits on 1,120 hectares of land with seven suburban campuses.
University of Pretoria Counselling Psychologist Internship Programme
The internship programme is in need of 3 successful applicants who will be joining the Student Support Division under the Department of Student Affairs. As Counselling Psychologist interns, the scope of their duties and responsibilities includes the following:
- Provide counselling or psycho-therapeutic services to young adults and students to help ensure emotional and academic wellness
- Conduct psychoeducation and group work sessions
- Perform career assessments, counselling
- Develop therapeutic and training programmes
- Provide therapeutic services to off-campus service users as part training
- Conduct mandatory supervision as needed
- Analyze data as part of the research process
The UP Counselling Psychologists Internship programme runs for a period of 12 months. The university does not guarantee permanent employment at the end of the programme.
Requirements or Eligibility
To qualify for the internship, you must meet the following minimum requisites:
- A registered MSc or MA Counselling Psychology Intern at a recognized college or university
- Must be a registered HPCSA Intern Psychologist
- Successfully completed course work as well as practical work during first year of MSc or MA Counselling Psychology training
- Must be knowledgeable in the following areas
- Brief and short term therapy methods
- Psychometric assessments
- HPCSA Code of Ethics and Conduct for Psychologists
- Professional psychological intervention
- Able to diagnose psychopathology and psychological as prescribed by the Scope of Practice for Counselling Psychologists
- Communicate with external organizations regarding delivering services to students
- Highly flexible to service demands
- Good interpersonal skills
- Capable of working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Solid multi-tasking skills
- Able to perform under pressure
- Highly professional, sensitive and confidential towards student diversity
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Reliable with clear ethical insight
- Skilled in MS Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Capable of managing crisis interventions
Additional preference will be given to applicants with:
- Working experience within a clinical setting
- Experience in administering psychometric tests
- Solid report writing
Click here to view the job advert.
How to Apply
If you meet the minimum requirements and would like to pursue this application, be sure to prepare the following supporting documents prior to applying:
- An updated CV
- Proof of MSc or MA Counselling Psychology registration (certified copy)
- Proof of current HPCSA Student Psychologist registration (certified copy)
- Academic results and proof of undergraduate qualifications (certified copies)
- Three character references with complete contact details (name, phone, email)
You need to register an account in order to apply for the position. Click here to access UP’s recruitment portal and then click “Register Now” to get started.
Use the job ID 23504 to quickly pull up the job advert.
For step-by-step instructions on how to complete the online application form, click here.
Opening and Closing Dates
Deadline for submission of applications is on 23 August 2019.
For further questions about the UP Counselling Psychologists Internship Programme, get in touch with:
(for application-related questions)
Ms Lebo Jele
Tel: (012) 420 2221
(for questions about the internship)
Dr Linda Blokland
Tel: (012) 420 2333