Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : Helicopter Day Captain x3
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Aviation
Location : Richards Bay
Reporting To : Chief Pilot
Grade Level : F
Reference Number : 10157346
Position Purpose :
The Helicopter Day Pilot is the Commander of the aircraft for day operations and Co–pilot for night operations. S/He is also
responsible for the safety and management of the crew and passengers on board the aircraft as per SACAA CARs 91.02.7,
91.02.8. Regulations as well as TNPA SOP’s.
Position outputs :
– Plan daytime flight missions in accordance marine traffic demands and Port Control directives.
– Prepare aircraft resources and loading schedule for marine pilot transfer and Port related functions.
– Responsible for preflight checks and safety briefings to ensure compliance with stringent safety requirements.
– Ensure transfer of marine pilots safely to vessels as they call and depart from the shores of the South African Port system.
– Ensure compliance with South African Civil Aviation Regulations, SAMSA and the National Ports Act No. 12 of 2005.
– Responsible for evacuation of accident victims and persons in distress.
– Conduct port related flights in accordance with TNPA and customer requirements.
– Determine flight routes (flight planning) in accordance with approved aeronautical requirements and charts.
– Liaise with Port Control and Air Traffic Navigation Services.
– Record take-off and landing times to fulfil scheduling requirements.
– Ensure customer satisfaction and performance.
– Log operational flight times and determination of mission efficiencies.
– Assist in delivering a 24hour seamless operation to enhance port productivity in line with TNPA business objectives and
– Contribute to business reputational enhancement by minimising incident and accident occurrences within the Port system,
by adhering to the strictest safety requirements.
– Ensure prompt responses to Port Control directives to enhance ship turn-around times.
– Train and develop Day Captains, Co-Pilots, Trainee Pilots and related functional personnel.
– Receive daily operational reports from the Night Captain.
– Conduct Line Proficiency Checks on Day Captains, Co-Pilots and Trainee Pilots.
– Responsible for flight planning, preparation of aircraft in order to conduct day flights for the marine pilot service and Port
related functions in accordance with TNPA requirements, standard operating procedures and policies.
– Undertake experiential training to meet the standards set by national and international aviation regulatory authorities (skills
development of Trainee Pilots and Co-Pilots).
– Responsible for the application of the Civil Aviation regulations as well as the National Ports Act No. 12 of 2005.
– Ensure uninterrupted operation of TNPA helicopter service to deliver high quality service and enhance safety and port
– Responsible for the safety and management of the crew and passengers on board the aircraft as per SACAA CARs
91.02.7, 91.02.8 Regulations as well as TNPA SOP’s.
Qualifications & Experience :
– Hold a current CPL or ATPL-H;
– Night Rating;
– Instrument Rating;
– Winch Rating;
– 2000 hours total flight time;
– 1200 hours on turbine helicopters;
– 500 hours on multi-engine helicopters
– 250 hours on A109 helicopter is advantageous;
– Minimum of 5 years relevant experience;
– Operational knowledge of the functions of TNPA marine pilot services.
– Aviation rules and safety guidelines;
– Helicopter operation procedures and systems;
– Public safety & security;
– Transportations systems and procedures;
– Port rules;
– Customer and personal service;
– English language proficiency;
– Radio telephony proficiency;
– Mathematical applications;
– Computers and electronics;
– Navigation data processing;
– Flight planning and execution.
– Good communication(verbal and written);
– Time management;
– Judgement & decision making;
– Operational control;
– Crew Resource Management (CRM);
– Active listening;
– Social perceptiveness/diversity;
– Decision making;
– Team work.
The closing date is on 15.07.2019.