Pretoria, South Africa
September 19, 2019
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Giving technical assistance to postgraduate Consumer, Food Science and Nutrition students;
- Providing technical assistance with the use of laboratory and pilot plant facilities and infrastructure, as well as laboratory and pilot plant equipment;
- Performing general and preventive maintenance tasks with regards to laboratory and pilot plant equipment;
- Training postgraduate students on the correct use of selected instruments and where necessary software;
- Stock control of glassware, chemicals, consumables and practical material;
- Issuing raw materials, chemicals and equipment for research projects;
- Safety training for postgraduate students and assistance with ethical online applications;
- Coordinating the post graduate program and performing general and administrative tasks for the Department as required, especially related to the postgraduate program, postgraduate applications, industry visits and guest lectures;
- Driving of UP vehicles for example to collect or deliver research samples, student excursions etc.
- BSc Honours in Food Science, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics or a BSc Nutrition (four years) or a B Consumer Science (four years) or related field;
- At least one year appropriate experience in a science laboratory or food production facility;
- A sound, basic understanding and experience in one or more of the following:
- Cell culture analysis;
- Molecular analysis;
- Sensory analysis;
- Nutritional science analysis
- Maintaining a bacterial culture collection;
- Consumer testing of food products;
- Use of statistical software tools (e.g. SPSS);
- Ability to run HPLC or LCMS analysis and analyse the data.
- Valid code EB driver’s license.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- A sound, basic understanding of and interest in food and nutritional analyses, chemistry and microbiology;
- Appropriate language and communication skills in English (verbal and written);
- Able to maintain good human relations;
- Neat and organized;
- Computer literacy: skilled in the use of MS Word, MS Power Point and MS Excel.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Enrolled for a Masters’ or higher degree;
- Two years’ appropriate experience in a science laboratory or food production facility.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 25% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: [email protected]
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Mr P Mapadimeng, Tel: (012) 420 4868 for application-related enquiries, and
Prof E Buys, Tel: (012) 420 3029 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 November 2019, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
Only registered members can apply for jobs.