Cape Town, South Africa
September 2, 2019
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : [email protected]
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : Marine Engineer Officer
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Marine Services
Location : Cape Town
Reporting To : Marine Technical Manager
Grade Level : H4
Reference Number : 10157520
Maintain and operate all machinery and equipment aboard all types of Pilot or workboats
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all machinery and engineering functions on Pilots or workboats which
includes watch keeping, repair and maintenancePosition outputs:
- Check operations logbooks once resumed duty to determine whether any malfunctions of machinery need repair.
- Do thorough checks i.e. soundings and levels in machinery space
- Run plant to operating temperatures and check alarm systems
- Proceed with normal shipping operations and maintain engine room watch keeping
- Prepare maintenance in engine room as necessary
- Carry out planned maintenance as per daily work schedule
- Perform monthly engine services as prescribed by maintenance chart
- Pre-plan and prepare for major overhaul, drydocking and lay-ups LSA surveys and Hull Surveys etc.
- Training of sub-ordinates in emergency procedures, fire & safety drills.
- Train subordinates in good engineering procedures
- Ensure adequate emergency engineering suppliers are available.
Qualifications & Experience:Grade 12 Certificate with Maths & Science
Second Engineer Port Operations
Certificate of competency or Chief Engineer Port Operations <1500w or Engineer Officer of Watch Certificate of
National Technical Certificate or N3 with Artisan trade test as Millwright
5 – 7 years
- Certificate Fire Fighting Basic
- Certificate First Aid at Sea
AC & DC control systems
Code of practice
- Diesel/Electrical motors & auto electrical systems
- Electrical drawings & manuals
- Engineering principles &
- Marine Legislation
- NOSA/ISO/OHS Act
- Operating & Maintenance Manuals
- Own work area understanding
- Procedural Alignment
- Procurement Procedures
- Quality standards & Customer requirements
- Ship Repairs
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Fire Fighting, First Aid & Life boat procedures
- Scheduling of own work
- Computer Literacy
- Decision making
- Diagnostic ability
- Operate special electrical instruments
- Problem solving
- Quality focus
- Brazing & welding
- Cable jointing
Only registered members can apply for jobs.