Rand Water is looking for a Consultant Pipeline Technologist at the Head Office in Glenvista, Johannesburg South. The role of the incumbent is the management of the output of the Pipeline Design Team to execute the pipeline engineering design function within the Design Office; this includes the execution of the pipeline design function, co-ordination, integration and approval of design output relating to all the Strategic Asset Requirements for the organization.
• Formal Degree in Civil Engineering or a BTech in Civil Engineering • Professional Registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa • 6 -10 years applicable post graduate experience with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the design of large diameter steel bulk water pipelines and related structures, three years construction experience • Liaison and effective communication with other departments and stakeholders in the industry
• Direct, manage and develop engineers/ technologists/ technicians/ draughting personnel within the Pipeline Engineering Design Team in the Design Office, including the reviewing of team outputs for technical accuracy, adequacy, and compliance with set pipeline or civil design standards and organizational procedures • Manage the interface with other engineering design disciplines (mechanical, civil, electrical, process, architectural and automation), consultants, asset engineers/managers, project teams, and contractors to accomplish completely integrated pipeline designs • Review and improve pipeline design standards and procedures conjunction with the Pipeline Asset Management Section • Keep abreast with the latest developments in the fields of pipelines engineering and formulating new guidelines and standards to reflect the latest trends with Pipeline Asset Management Section • In conjunction with the survey, GIS section assist in the route section of the steel pipelines • Undertake hydraulic design for pumping and gravity pipelines ranging from 600mm-3500mm in diameter including suction and delivery headers • Produce longitudinal section drawings based on hydraulic analysis • Perform the pipeline selection of materials for the steel grade, lining and coating system and the backfilling material. • Must have understanding of cathodic protection system and its impact to pipeline design • Structural pipeline design:- analyze the pipe to soil system: design loads, deflections, pipe buckling • Design of all pipe specials such as bends, miters and compensation plates • Sizing of air valve and scour pipes • Design of pipeline structures: valve chambers for housing air, isolating, reflux and scour valves. • Compilation of contract document made up design criteria, design reports , specifications, bills of quantities, drawings and relevant standards • Conduct/participate in scoping meetings, detailed design reviews, hazard and operability studies and present scopes / designs to the Design Review Committee / site personnel
• Bulk Pipeline design and hydraulic modeling • Knowledge of the applicable design standards e.g. AWWA, SANS,PD 5000, BS EN 13445, BS EN 1295 • Ability to interpret geotechnical recommendations into designs • Design of pipeline structures such as valve chambers, etc. • Basic AutoCAD and design softwares (Civil 3D, TechnoCAD /IDAS/PipeMaker) • Must have understanding of Cathodic Protection System and its impact to pipeline design • Air Valve and scour valve sizing
• Strong leadership skills • Good communication skills • Problem solving • Conflict management • Report writing skills • Punctuality and accuracy in the execution of projects
• Conceptual thinking • Ability to pay attention to detail • Quality orientated • Deadline orientated • Customer focused • Self-motivated • Proactive