University of Johannesburg
Manager: Student Debtors
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, striving towards global excellence and stature. Ranked amongst the top 4% in the QS World Class Universities Ranking and 61st in the QS BRICS World Class Universities Ranking, UJ is recognised as an international university of choice. As a University, we aim to enrich our academic profile, and develop UJ as the pan-African epicentre of critical intellectual inquiry.
Student Finance is a support division under the Financial Revenue and Governance department. The division is responsible for administration of NSFAS funding, Bursaries and Student debtors. Student Finance strives to provide excellent service to all students, parents, sponsors, donors, internal and external clients.
The division is decentralised across all campuses where NSFAS, Bursaries and student account enquiries can be accessed.
NSFAS is an acronym for the National Student Financial Aid Scheme. NSFAS is a statutory body, funded primarily by South Africa’s National Department of Higher Education and Training, providing study loans and bursaries to academically deserving and financially needy students who wish to study at one of South Africa’s public higher education institutions. NSFAS has appointed the University of Johannesburg (UJ) to administer funds on its behalf at UJ.
- Enforce the University Policy and procedures regarding Student debtors and bursaries
- Follow up on outstanding debt
- Authorise Journals and student refunds
- Liaise with clients regarding academic results, arrangements and student debtors related enquiries.
- Administer all operational daily activities on accounts
- Authorise general payments related to student debtors and bursaries.
- Liaise with auditors (internal and external) during the annual UJ audit
- Ensure timeous compilation of the Student Debtors Booklet and procedures.
- Assist the Snr Manager to plan, co-ordinate and manage the annual budget for Student Debtors and Bursary Division.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation for Management reporting
- Liaise with the SRC about ad hoc situations related to students.
- Build and Strengthen relationships between Internal/External Stake and UJ
- Provide relevant statistics to Management.
- Manage the Open-day process in conjunction with the Senior Manager
- Liaison with the Student Enrolment Center
- Encourage and build mutual trust, respect and co-operation amongst team members.
- Manage staff, prepare work schedules and assign specific duties.
- Ad Hoc tasks
- BCom Degree with Accountancy or Management with a minimum of 3 years’ job-related experience, OR
- A Diploma in Accountancy or Management with a minimum of 5 years’ job-related experience.
- Experience within a tertiary education environment.
- Flexibility to work on all 4 campuses as and when required.
- Proven experience in working on ITS and Oracle computer systems is essential.
- Proven and excellent understanding of accounting principles.
- Proven ability to work under pressure with large volumes
- Good problem solving skills.
- Good conflict management and decision making skills
- Proficiency in English would be an advantage
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Good computer skills (MS Office Suite, ITS).
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good presentation skills and attention to detail.
- Good planning, listening and organising skills.
- Excellent accounting abilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to interact with high level decision makers.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good people management skills.
ENQUIRIES REGARDING THE JOB CONTENT: Ms Morongwa Mametse (HR Business Partner) on 011 559 4014
LOGIN AND APPLY ONLINE AT [URL Disabled]
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you require technical support/ assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 010 140 3099 or email [URL Disabled]
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 21 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.