Santam Broker Services East Coast region has an available career opportunity for a Technical Manager based in Durban.
The position calls for a person who will provide technical underwriting expertise to assist the Regional Manager and Relationship Managers in managing their broker relationships at both a strategic and operational level with a clear focus on growth, profitability and efficiency in line with the Broker Services and Santam Commercial and Personal objectives.
The Technical Manager provides technical underwriting support for Relationship Managers and intermediaries and enables quicker decision-making when engaging with intermediaries for new business quotes on larger risks, renewals and other technical queries.
• Provide technical underwriting expertise and advice for all Classes of Insurance.
• Assist Relationship Managers in explaining complex underwriting principles and decisions to intermediaries.
• Balance growth and profit when making decisions by considering the supporting business and regional strategy.
• Analyse profitability of multi-claimants or renewal of individual policies and recommend corrective actions to Regional Managers and Relationship Managers.
• Discuss proposed amendments to pricing models and new covers with Specialist Underwriters.
• Manage: prepare (exception) complex and high value quotes and policy conversions.
• When necessary, discuss and explain Risk Reduction Requirements (RRR) from survey reports and negotiate with brokers to obtain buy-in: escalate queries only if unable to resolve to Specialist Underwriters.
• Build and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders.
• Ensure compliance with underwriting guidelines.
• Review new business written.
What will make you successful in this role?
• Completed Gr12
• Certificate of Proficiency (CoP) or equivalent
• Intermediate Certificate in Business Studies (ICiBS)
• Higher Certificate in Insurance or equivalent ACII
• Bachelor’s degree or relevant insurance related diploma (advantageous)
• Valid drivers licence (requirement)
• Must qualify for a minimum of Santam’s Underwriting level 2
• FAIS compliance is a business requirement.
• Regulatory Examinations (RE) with full qualification
• Ten years’ experience working in a commercial underwriting department assessing risks, determining pricing and terms across all classes of insurance (Property, Casualty and Motor)
• Computer literate (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint – intermediated proficiency levels)
• Technical leaders in their field Thorough technical, product and wording knowledge of Santam Commercial and Santam AGRI products
• Knowledge of personal lines product wording and underwriting manuals
• Working knowledge of Re-Insurance is a requirement
• Motor Fleet underwriting expertise is a requirement
• Analytical thinking – ability to analyse and apply information and data
• Appreciation of insurance and underwriting principles
• Business partnerships (Teamwork and cooperation)
• Commercial and profit driven
• Conceptual thinking
• Curious / innovative about new developments and technologies and application to risk management
• Excellent inter-personal skills
• Execution and deadline oriented
• Good communication skills (verbal and written)
• Impact and Influence
• Information seeking
• Negotiation skills
• Planning and organising – ability to cope with conflicting demands and to prioritise tasks
Interpersonal savvy – Contributing through others
Decision quality – Contributing through others
Plans and aligns – Contributing through others
Directs work – Contributing through others
Build a successful career with us
We’re all about building strong, lasting relationships with our employees. We know that you have hopes for your future – your career, your personal development and of achieving great things. We pride ourselves in helping our employees to realise their worth. Through its business clusters – Sanlam Personal Finance, Sanlam Emerging Markets, Sanlam Investments, Sanlam Corporate, Santam, Miway, as well as the Group Office – the group provides many opportunities for growth and development.
Cultivates innovation – Contributing through others
Customer focus – Contributing through others
Drives results – Contributing through others
Collaborates – Contributing through others
Being resilient – Contributing through others
The shortlisting process will only start once the application due date has been reached. The time taken to complete this process will depend on how far you progress and the availability of managers.
https://za.jobs-vacancies.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Jobs-VacanciesNet-300x157.png00Goverhttps://za.jobs-vacancies.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Jobs-VacanciesNet-300x157.pngGover2020-10-27 15:02:252020-10-27 15:02:25UNDERWRITER MANAGER I