The main purpose of this job is to drive and grow the profitability of the Store through the effective management of its employees, financial, and technological resources, ensuring efficient application of the company’s policies and procedures and management of best practice in order to exceed all stakeholders’ expectations.
Key Performance Areas:
- To ensure continuity, growth and profitability of the Store through the management of costs and the maximization of sales turnover and returns.
- Identifies new business opportunities, take calculated risks
- Generate innovative and creative ideas for implementing new business opportunities and maximising sales.
Planning and Budgeting
- Together with the Operations Executive and Regional Operations Manager, interpret the business objectives into an Operating Plan for the Store.
Procurement, Stock control and Merchandising
- To ensure that the inward logistics of the Store run smoothly, products are purchased in line with The Building Company procurement policies and procedures, stock levels are kept at optimal levels and stock losses are controlled.
- Ensures that the Store budget is compiled in line with the agreed upon operating plans and adhered to.
- Ensure that all financial processes are monitored and controlled in line with best practices and company procedures.
- Ensure that customer complaints are dealt with in an effective manner and resolved
- Promotions, advertising and all public relations must be co-ordinated for the store in order to enhance the Brand’s market share in line with all company procedures
- Analyses of operational information leading to the diagnosis of problems and/or success areas in the business
- Enhancing all successes and raising and resolving all problem areas with the Operations Management Support Team.
- Inspire, motivate, guide, develop and manage, and lead employees in order to meet the store’s objectives
- Apply all company policies and procedures and best practice principles in order to maintain a harmonious labour environment
Legislative compliance and Corporate Governance
- Ensure legal compliance with all legislation relating to the operation of the business and that appropriate action is taken in respect of all legal matters.
Upholding and promoting the Company Values
Deciding and Initiating Action
- Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people.
- Takes initiative and works under own direction.
- Initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes.
- Makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
Leading and Supervising
- Provides others with a clear direction.
- Motivates and empowers others.
- Recruits staff of a high calibre.
- Provides staff with development opportunities and coaching.
- Sets appropriate standards of behaviour.
Relating and Networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff.
- Relates well to people at all levels.
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts.
- Uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Persuading and Influencing
- Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating.
- Makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others.
- Promotes ideas on behalf of oneself or others.
- Makes a strong personal impact on others.
- Takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
Presenting and Communicating Information
- Speaks fluently.
- Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly.
- Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence.
- Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback.
- Projects credibility.
- Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships
- Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem
- Makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis
- Demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system
Planning and Organising
- Sets clearly defined objectives
- Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances
- Identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks
- Manages time effectively
- Monitors performance against deadlines and milestones
Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way
- Consistently achieves project goals
Adapting and Responding to Change
- Adapts to changing circumstances
- Tolerates ambiguity
- Accepts new ideas and change initiatives
- Adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations
- Shows an interest in new experiences
Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
- Maintains a positive outlook at work
- Works productively in a pressurised environment
- Keeps emotions under control during difficult situations
- Handles criticism well and learns from it
- Balances the demands of a work life and a personal life
Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
- Works hard and puts in longer hours when it is necessary
- Seeks progression to roles of increased responsibility and influence
- Identifies own development needs and makes use of developmental or training opportunities
Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking
- Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends
- Identifies business opportunities for the organisation; maintains awareness of developments in the organisational structure and politics
- Demonstrates financial awareness
- Controls costs and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value
- Commerce Bachelor’s Degree / or equivalent experience
- Financial or Management diploma
- 5-10 years retail experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ in a junior-mid level management position
- Previous industry related experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills
- Financial acumen
- Merchandising principles
- Preferably have knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act