24.com is looking for a Senior Sports writer, based in either Johannesburg or Cape Town, to produce unique content for the Sport24 website and the News24 subscription service. The successful candidate should have a thorough understanding of the local (SA) sports scene – rugby, cricket and soccer in particular – and an excellent writing ability with sufficient journalistic credentials.
– Tertiary Education preferable (Journalism / Media or Media management preferable)
– Must have a thorough understanding and knowledge of online news
– Meticulous attention to detail and excellent subbing skills
Skills & Competencies
– An online journalist with a competitive drive and sound news judgment who does not settle for second best and will ensure best practice on his/her sections of the site.
– A self-starter with a passion for online content, looking to define him/herself as a member of the team responsible for South Africa’s largest online content product.
– Must have excellent sub-editing & writing skills
– Must have the ability to enhance content to ensure best practice presentation of said content on the website
– Must be willing to work irregular hours and over weekends & must be able to work independently and as part of a team
– Must have an excellent command of the English language
– Must be able to communicate well on different levels
– Must be able to communicate with diplomacy and tact with consumers
– Must be versatile and flexible and adaptable to change
– Must be able to perform under pressure
– Must be willing to interview people by phone, by e-mail, and in person, perhaps outside the office
Duties & Responsibilities
– Unique content to help differentiate Sport24 from competitors, made easier being based in close proximity to leading rugby, cricket and soccer sides based in Gauteng area.
– Sub-editing content from wire agencies.
– Writing, editing and publishing of content on assigned sections
– Selecting of content as or when required by Sport24 Editor
– Must be able to stand in for other Content Producers and oversee content production across the site
– Takes responsibility for quality of content and general appearance of these sections
Disclaimer: Preference will be given to employment equity candidates.