Source and Select
The Digital Skills for Jobs and Income Project (DS4JI) supports the improvement of employment prospects of young people, in particular young women, in an increasingly digitalised economy. The project is based on a combination of vocational education, skills development and employment promotion. It supports:
- the access to a qualitatively improved and demand-oriented vocational education at selected TVET-Colleges, by integrating digital skills and methods into the training courses of the formal vocational education and training system (Output 1).
- the access to demand-oriented skills development through supporting selected innovative, non-formal training measures (Output 2).
- the improvement of recruitment policies of companies by supporting HR specialists in the introduction and implementation of new, gender-sensitive approaches to identify applicants with the company’s digital skills in demand (Output 3).
- intensified networking and cooperation of initiatives and actors and the exchange of learning experiences in the transformative process of digitalisation of the South African economy (Output 4).
The project is partly funded by the G20 #eSkills4Girls Initative that aims at tackling the existing gender digital divide. Therefore, to a large extend the projects beneficiaries will be young women and girls with the aim to improve their access to the digital world.
On the German side the DS4JI is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The project is part of the newly established Technical Vocational Education and Employment Cluster.
How you can make a difference:
As the project is in its first implementation phase and has only commenced in April 2020, the DS4JI team requires the expertise of a dynamic, independent working team player who is interested in setting up sustainable project and partner structures, who enjoys to develop creative approaches, engages in administrative tasks and has a high digital affinity.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A Post-graduate university qualification in Economics, Social Sciences, Education or similar areas.
Knowledge & Experience
- Qualification should be enhanced by at least 10 years’ relevant working experience with a good understanding of the following:
- South African Youth Ecosystem, the structure and operations of initiatives dealing with youth development;
- Knowledge of Digital Skills requirements and Future of Work issues;
- Understanding of Digital Skills frameworks;
- Familiarity with and understanding of 21st century skills requirements and growth areas in the South African economy;
- Knowledge and experience in setting up regional, Africa wide networks will be an advantage;
- Experience in (online) event organisation/ management and performance (e.g. webinars);
- Ability to engage in multiple stakeholder processes, especially those involving private-and public sector collaborations;
- Strong project management skills, able to break up complex deliverables into manageable plans with realistic tasks; knowledge and experience with agile methods;
- Technical leadership of a team;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently in a structured, methodical manner;
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills;
- Familarity with gender-sensitive project approaches;
- Self-driven, quick to learn, flexible and highly motivated;
- Flexibility and mobility: if required readiness to travel (national / international) and to have flexible working hours; driving license;
- Relevant computer skills (Microsoft Office including MS Teams, Outlook; Sharepoint; etc.);
- Experience within the context of international development co-operation would be an advantage.
The Senior Technical Advisor is responsible for:
- Technical set-up and implementation of Output 4 of the DS4JI project;
- Technical guidance of team members working in Output 4 and other Outputs related to Output 4;
- The contribution to the achievement of the set Outputs indicators;
- The contribution to the projects results-based monitoring and reporting processes.
- Supports in a responsible way the Project Director in the achievements of the results and the achievements within the Output, i.e. technical responsibility of the performance of team members (without disciplinary responsibility).
- Is responsible for steering and management of the performance of contractors and initiatives which receive financing and grants contributing to the achievement of the target indicators of the output.
- Supports in the Project Director in management and implementation of the measures planned within the Output 4.
- Supports the Project Director in recruiting, selecting, grading, planning the assignment of the professional development of staff members if applicable.
- Supports the monitoring and management of staff and ensuring that they provide cost-effective services.
- Is responsible for the communication of output relevant information that this is done in accordance with the communication guidelines of GIZ.
- manage the interface to relevant other projects within the cluster and beyond and ensures a sound and impact oriented cooperation.
- is responsible for the technical set-up, the planning and the implementation of Output 4 of the DS4JI project and the performance of the underlying processes.
- contributes to the technical design of measures / Terms of Reference and activities and ensures the quality of implementation also by external resources / service providers / grant receivers etc. contracted by performance contracts or financing agreements.
- contributes to the financial planning and reporting and adjustment if necessary of Output 4 according to GIZ-standards and rules and regulations in cooperation with the Project Director and the Finance and Administration Officer.
- is supporting in a responsible way the achievement of the target indicators of Output 4 and monitoring and reporting of the achievement accordingly and in time with the reporting cycles.
- contributes to the projects results-based monitoring and reporting processes.
- represents the DS4JI project in targeted, relevant platforms, meetings and events nationally and internationally.
- Initiate, develop, support and manage the implementation of the DS4JI Output 4 in cooperation with selected initaitives, groups, stakeholder and companies to support the digital transformation of the South African economy and society;
- Design, plan and steer the implementation of Output measures and activities like networking events, multi-stakeholder dialogues and fora, national and international conferences, etc. on the acquisition of digital and foundational competences and the digital transformation of the South African economy and society. A special focus is given on girls and young women.
- Assist in building and strengthening capacities of the selected partner institutions like initiatives by integrating digital teaching and learning methods such as e-learning or blended learning;
- Assist in strengthening the capacities of partner organisations also in the public sector, e.g. Departments of South African Government;
- Foster the cooperation and the networking between the TVET-colleges and different existing initiatives with focus on digital skills and women and girls promotion in South Africa and supporting their activities in close cooperation with Output 1;
- Set-up learning processes and ensure knowledge management for policy making processes and system relevant improvements in the South African stakeholder ecosystem;
- Support the set up of data driven / data based processes and tools for pathway management of young South Africans and serve interfaces to other projects and initiatives where necessary.
Coordination and Management
- Contribute to the DS4JI results-based monitoring system, reporting processes and knowledge management;
- Plan and budget measures to support the networking and collaboration within the South African ecosystem;
- Provide technical guidance to the project team;
- Manage and serve the interface to other projects inside and outside the cluster where relevant.
- Represent the DS4JI programme in targeted, relevant platforms, meetings and events.