An organisation within the financial services sector is in search of a Quantitative Credit Analyst /Listed Credit Analyst to create and revise models of aspects of the credit process at inception of the creation of a macro credit spread model, assisting with the formulation of a multi-variable credit rating tool for use across deals, and other projects as they arise.
- Delivery of specific projects – initially a macro credit spread model and a credit ratings model – to be used as tools by the credit team to assess, price, rank, value, and analyse credit assets. Work may extend to reviewing credit-pricing models and methods, valuation methods, and participating in the pricing-for-liquidity modelling.
- Making investment recommendations in respect of listed corporate bonds and money market.
- Performing detailed investment analysis (including an assessment of financial, operational,management, competitive, industry, governance, environment and social factors).
- Performing global, local as well as industry specific research and analysis.
- Participation in ad hoc projects (related to listed bonds, process improvements, ASISA initiatives etc).
- Analysis of legal documentation and review of key terms and conditions for appropriateness.
- Working with internal and external legal advisors to ensure adequate protections are captured in the legal documentation.
- Proposing appropriate risk-adjusted pricing and working with the dealing desk in the pricing and valuation of listed bond instruments.
- Monitoring pricing and issuance trends in listed debt auctions to inform the broader investment decision making process.
- Working with the team to further develop and subsequently maintain internal relative value pricing databases.
- Regular contact with borrower management teams, rating agencies, deal originators, legal advisors, internal portfolio managers, ASISA, the JSE and other stakeholders.
- Deal origination.
- Sourcing transactions via reverse enquiry.
- Developing and maintaining counterparty and arranger relationships.
- Analysis of appropriateness of deal structures and pricing.
- Reviewing existing transactions to assess evolving risks and rewards and recommend if our client.
- funds should continue to hold the investment, buy more or sell.
- Maintenance of all investment related data.
- Participation in valuation methods and processes, Listed and Unlisted Credit Committees and other internal team meetings.
- Participation in client investor presentations, discussions and report backs.
- To develop the use of derivative instruments, either stand-alone or embedded, in the management of instruments and funds instruments.
- Relevant commerce or financial markets degree (with financial mathematics/statistics as a subject)
- CA (SA) and/or CFA candidate or similar is preferred (at least Financial Accounting, Economics or Financial Analysis up to 3rd year level).
- Prior asset management or banking experience in credit analysis, deal implementation, monitoring and instrument valuations would be an advantage.
- Prior experience with financial instruments and in financial markets an advantage;
- Prior experience in building investment models; and
- Computer literacy (MS Office, especially MS Excel) is essential.
- Strong commercial focus with a passion for investments.
- Analytical thinking.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Decision-making and judgement.
- Displaying drive, purpose and initiative.
- Collaboration and teamwork.
- Articulate and confident.
- Networking skills.
- Excellent planning & organisational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to multiple, tight deadlines and deliverables.
- Excellent communication skills (including verbal, writing and presentation skills).
- Learning agility (curiosity and willingness to learn).
- Adaptability; and
- Negotiating skills.