QPro Feeds is a dynamic Animal Feed Manufacturing business with a facility in both Bethlehem and Vrede. We are responsible for producing animal feed to in-house clients as well as external clients in the monogastric and ruminant fields.
This position’s primary goal is to ensure that QPro Feeds Bethlehem complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and assist with the venture in gaining ISO-certification.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Grade 12
- NOSA SAMTRAC or equivalent
- At least 3 years’ proven experience within the FMCG environment
Key responsibilities of this role:
- Inspecting workplaces to investigate accidents, causes of ill-health and complaints.
- Inspecting workplaces to enforce safety laws.
- Examining ways to improve health and safety standards.
- Negotiating with managers and employees to provide a safe working environment.
- Developing health and safety programs and strategies.
- Keeping up to date with the law and technical knowledge.
- Writing reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and maintain an effective program and ensure compliance to satisfy the requirements of local legislation e.g. the OHS, COID and Environmental Conservation Acts.
- Develop systems to ensure all employees comply with all relevant legal safety requirements.
- Identify safety training needs, organize and co-ordinate safety training courses and prepare. training material where appropriate.
- Co-ordinate the monthly safety meeting:
- ensure meeting times are set
- agendas are sent out
- minutes are kept and sent out
- ensure that all support documentation in respect of the safety program is received on time and in the correct format from all concerned parties
- Assist in appointment of safety representatives for all departments.
- Communicate changes in Safety and Environment legislation to Management.
- Evaluate incident forms, surveys, audits to establish root causes and together with Supervisors and Managers concerned, formulate a plan of action to correct non-compliant behaviour or conditions.
- Liaise with onsite contractors to ensure their compliance with Company safety regulations and adherence to safety standards, including basic safety induction training.
- Conduct surveys and audits as required to identify and minimize the risk to company and employees.
- Identify unsafe acts, conditions, and hazards, investigate root causes and identify corrective and preventative actions and report to management.
- Co-ordinate at least two evacuation exercises per year to ensure that all staff become familiar with these procedures.
- Assist with the formulation of emergency/contingency plans for:
- Natural disasters
- Industrial action
- Political unrest
- Bomb threats
- Review and update Emergency Procedures as and when necessary.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant local safety, security and environmental legislation:
- COID ACT
- Environmental Conservation Act
- Thorough knowledge of ISO 22000, ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001.
- Working knowledge of safety systems.
- A working knowledge of local OHS requirements.
- A Working Knowledge of the FMCG Environment
- Able to engage and work with external stakeholders, suppliers and contractors.
- Able to take ownership of areas responsible.
- Able to work within the workforce and management teams.
- Able to collate and construct Health & Safety reports as required.
- Able to manage and update existing Health and Safety system.
- MS Office at an intermediate skill level.
- Report writing.
- Conducting Risk Assessments and Non-Conformance audits.
- Prepare and present presentations from time to time.
- Accurate and attention to detail.
- Good communication skills.
- Problem solving.
- Implementation and administration of safety systems.
- SAMTRAC, Hazard Identification & Risk Assessments, Legal Compliance Assessments.