Advert Ref: ASM1008
Advert Title: Horticulturist
Area: Agriculture Centre
Position Type: Full-Time
Weekly Hours: 40 Hours
Time Conditions: Day Shift
Salary: R21,000 – R33,000
Closing Date: 18 September 2020
As a grower you’ll usually specialise in field crops, protected growing, soft and top fruit, hardy nursery stock or cut flowers. Clients may include plant and tree nurseries, supermarkets and DIY stores.
The role is complex, involving the management of horticultural enterprises and requiring business and IT competence, alongside scientific understanding and the traditional skills of cultivation.
The duties and responsibilities of a horticulturist include:
• undertaking all aspects of husbandry and production including preparation, growing and harvesting
• managing pest, disease and weed control programmes, commensurate with hygiene and health standards
• marketing and selling produce, depending on crop, season and market demand
• planning and running transplanting lines in glass houses as products change throughout the year
• taking responsibility for the ‘carrier area’ that sets stock down and also picks it up ready to be dispatched
• analysing yields, operational costs and financial returns of horticultural operations
• identifying technical and business problems, investigating the causes and formulating solutions
• planning and organising trials to assess their effectiveness
• preparing new or modified operational and business plans
• developing new products and markets, negotiating with suppliers and buyers
• managing produce supply chain systems and the supporting infrastructure for processing, storage and transport of produce
• organising presentations, technical visits and demonstrations
• ensuring that South African Community and international quality, hygiene, health and safety and employment standards and regulations are met
• communicating effectively with customers, working colleagues and professional groups, both orally and in writing, through briefings, reports and presentations
• training, instructing and supervising others, depending on your role
• performing essential administrative tasks, including record keeping and budgeting
• keeping up to date in your specialist area and in developments in the whole horticultural sector
• meeting agreed deadlines and working within budgets, at management level
• assisting in the recruitment and management of staff, at senior level.
You’ll need to show:
• excellent planning skills
• the ability to organise and manage your own workload
• problem-solving ability
• communication and interpersonal skills
• project management skills
• ability to work in a team and use your initiative
• management skills and business awareness
• financial awareness
• a hands-on, practical and realistic approach to work
• administration and IT skills
• flexibility and a willingness to work in a busy and varied environment
• knowledge of health and safety regulations and procedures
• physical fitness and the ability to work in physically demanding environments
• a full driving licence (usually required).
• Bsc Agric or 3 year BSC degree
• Own transport
• Solid verbal and written communication skills in Afrikaans and English is mandatory.
• Self-starter and problem solver that can work on their own steam and initiative
• crop and plant science
• environmental science
• food science/technology
• soil science.
Avoller SA Manufacturer Human Resources Department System received your Application of Employment (CV) and Candidates will be conducted shortly, Should you not be contacted in 14 days from the closing date please consider your Application of Employment unsuccessful.
We can’t wait to open your Application of Employment to see what skills you best provide.
Due to Coronavirus outbreak interviews are performed through video chat and Voice call to prevent the spread of the virus.
Thank you for your interest in our company.