Measuring the signal strength of television, telephone and internet connections to ensure that there is adequate performance.
· Creating sensors and performing inspections to make sure that the fibre optic systems do not have defects that could undermine performance.
· Conducting regular inspections of the systems with the aim of locating and repairing any defects detected during the inspections.
· Run fibre optic cables underground or aerial and perform premises cabling
· May be required to climb telephone poles and crawl in small spaces for installation purposes
· Determining solutions to any problems and issues that are preventing the fibre optic systems from performing optimally.
The successful candidate must have the following experience/skills: –
· Technical training in electronics and computers are essential skills for fibre network technicians
· 5+ years Fibre Optic splicing experience (preference given to those with additional experience or FTTx project experience)
· Technical training considered an asset
· Previous experience testing for improved experience
Desired Experience & Qualification
Experience using FO troubleshooting tools (i.e. OTDR, Mass Fusion Splicing, etc.)
· Drivers license
· Clean driving record
· Customer service skills
· Good analytical and problem-solving skills
· Problem-solving skills
· Strong knowledge of the company and all of its services
· Good working knowledge of hand and power tools used in this position
· Proficient in fibre cable termination with connectors
· Well versed in fusion splicing machine technique
· Strong manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination
· Ability to work in all weather conditions, confined spaces, isolation
· Ability to work in a physically demanding atmosphere including, but is not limited to carry, raise and
· climb a ladder, carry, lift and handle heavy equipment (manhole covers, cable reels)
· Self-disciplined, motivated and organized
· Effective planning skills
· Managing skills