Consulting – Core Business Operations: Operations Transformation – Senior System Engineer (24 month Contract)
- 5 Magwa Cres, Waterval 5-Ir, Midrand, 2066, South Africa
Deloitte is a leading global provider of audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax and related services. Our global network of member firms and related entities in more than 150 countries and territories (collectively, the “Deloitte organization”) serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies. Learn how Deloitte’s approximately 312,000 people make an impact that matters at www.deloitte.com.
About the Operations Transformation Team
Our Operations Transformation team focuses on transforming our clients’ core business operations. We advise, design, implement, and deploy solutions focused on “heart of the business” issues in specific sectors including Health Care, Banking & Securities, TMT, Insurance, and Energy & Resources. Our Market Offerings include Operations Excellence, Manufacturing Strategy and Smart Operations, Capital Projects, Payments and Revenue Cycle Innovation and Emerging Business Models.
Our clients seek a fresh perspective on how to create a flexible, innovative business model supported by a strong operations foundation. Professionals will use their deep sector knowledge and technical business operations consulting experience to take a more strategic view of our clients’ priorities, helping them to prepare for growth, embrace the digital agenda and maximize operational efficiency.
Main Purpose of Role
The Systems Engineer is responsible for delivering, maintaining, and optimizing infrastructure, database, and middleware capabilities to support and enable the development and operations of modules and solutions. This role is responsible for reviewing solution designs; understanding their impact on application/infrastructure; ensuring the availability of supporting components and enabling infrastructure from internal or external service providers. This role is also responsible for monitoring, maintaining, and supporting the operational capacity, availability, and performance of solutions against SLAs. In addition, the candidate in this role is responsible for providing technical expertise to team members and other technical/business areas.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring and maintaining of infrastructure/service/application performance, capacity and availability
- Installing, configuring, testing and maintaining operating systems, application software, containers, system management and DevOps tooling
- Ensuring availability, sustainability and accessibility of application systems/services
- Performing Incident Management and Root Cause Analysis
- Managing and ensuring SLAs and SLOs of services are maintained
- Ensuring necessary operational controls and governance are in place and policies to ensure alignment
- Providing 2nd and 3rd level support to the IS Service Desk for the resolution of application and infrastructure-related incidents and problems
- Managing and remediating on security threats and vulnerabilities, and applying all required security controls in accordance with relevant policies
- Identification and mitigation of all risks for services in production
- Executing and managing operational projects to ensure delivery as per agreed timelines and scope
- Coordinating and executing implementation of changes into various environments
- Designing, Implementing and maintaining high availability and disaster recovery solutions
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
Qualifications and Experience
- Matric / Grade 12 essential
- 3-year degree / diploma Bachelor’s Degree or diploma in Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar qualification
- Min 8 years’ experience in designing, developing, deploying and / or administering infrastructure solutions
- Experience of current and emerging virtualization, infrastructure, and cloud and containers technologies and architectures, such as Windows, Linux, AWS, Azure, Openstack, Docker etc.
- Min 5 years’ experience of configuration management and automation tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, Terraform, etc.
- Strong knowledge of automation frameworks and tools
- Min 5 years’ experience working with programming and scripting languages, such as Python, Ruby, Bash/Shell, etc.
- Experience with shell scripting
- Experience with supporting / maintaining JAVA applications preferred
- Experience with Database technologies – RDBMS, e.g. MySQL, MSSQL, PostGreSQL, Oracle
- Strong SQL Scripting skills preferred
- Min 5 years’ experience and knowledge of IP networks and related solutions
- Experience working closely with agile methodologies, such as Scrum, XP, and with teams leveraging DevOps and Continuous Delivery / Integration
- Strong knowledge of incident and problem management processes
- Experience with Cloud-native architectures, including public cloud PaaS / IaaS, micro-services architectures, APIs will be an advantage
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to adapt to new methods and processes
- Strong relationship building, persuasion, and collaboration skills that drives internal-and cross-team constructive feedback and support
- Strong communications skills and time-management skills, with the ability manage multiple tasks, and work well under pressure
- Experience in monitoring technologies and APM (Application Performance Management) tools
- Strong understanding of IT management best practice frameworks, such as ITIL and COBIT preferred
- Experience and knowledge of Financial and Payment solutions preferred