Facilities Manager – Student Accommodation
The Residential Property Company needs a hard working young and energetic Facilities Manager that would be hands-on in most matters on a daily basis but also have the ability to set strategy/see the bigger picture. The successful candidate will report to senior management and Exco in terms the employer’s residential and student portfolio in Pretoria with a variety of buildings from older buildings to newly constructed buildings. The ideal candidate would preferably have good people, communication and management skills whilst being very hands-on in a reasonable flat and basic company structure with a general hands-on approach.
- Experience in and exposure to the residential and student property environment is a requirement.
- Good understanding of operating cost for residential properties both new and existing for residential or student accommodation buildings.
- Budgeting of maintenance expenses and capex provisions in terms of a maintenance plan provided to company director for approval and incorporation into financial projections and management of maintenance implementation on-site within the budget provided.
- Ability to set budgets, control capex goals, performance against budget tracking
- Draw up maintenance plans for about 7 buildings in the portfolio within a growing portfolio.
- Implementation of emergency, reactive and preventative maintenance plans.
- Weekly and daily inspection and supervision on site is required to attend to all maintenance matters where needed.
- Ability to benchmark operating cost and expenses to other buildings in the portfolio and to the market and then be able to analyse specific potential saving or value engineering opportunities for recommendation and plan of implementation with costs to responsible Director or Exco.
- Good knowledge and understanding of compliancy issues such as laws, by-laws, health & safety regulations and industry best practices specific to residential buildings.
- Optimising equipment performance and useful life.
- Managing staff to attend to maintenance and be very hands on to ensure timeous and successful delivery of tasks.
- Managing contractors on site for maintenance and refurbishments of the residential buildings internally.
- Need to have technical skills and ability to advise staff on matters relating to plant and equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Take responsibility for procurement inclusive of tender/quote issue, adjudication and making recommendation to senior management.
- Ability to setup and scrutinise service level agreements, procure service providers and enforce KPI’s on service providers and staff.
- Minimum monthly or more regular inspections and good understanding of heat-pump systems, solar panel systems, electrical infrastructure, water infrastructure, fire equipment and lifts.
- Ability and experience in repairing of electricity, plumbing, tiling and other matters will be an advantage.
- The ability to work after hours and on weekends is a requirement
- This position will entail after hour involvement with maintenance matters as and when they occur, to be on standby in case of emergencies and to attend to tenant matters/emergencies that may arise when tenants return from work. Other matters that may arise after hours are power outages, water supply issues, building equipment malfunction needing urgent attention. Currently attended to by Director needing to delegate this function and after-hour support to the successful candidate.
- MDA proficiency will be an advantage but not necessarily a requirement.
- Good communication skills and will collaborate daily with building tenants, staff and senior management.
- Should be a problem solver and self-starter to work on his/her own and take full responsibility for the implementation of maintenance plan without daily supervision.
- The successful candidate will be based in the company’s offices in Pretoria to be on site and hands-on in daily tasks.