The CSIR has a vacancy for a Software Developer in the Centre for High Performance Computing (CHPC) area, within the National Integration Cyberinfrastructure System (NICIS). The incumbent will be responsible to maintain and develop in-house systems, web-based platforms and support tools. This position is based in Rosebank Cape Town.
- Work in collaboration with both internal researchers/engineers and external users to develop software solutions for projects;
- Develop and maintain internal User Database, which manages all processes for users to apply, use and monitor access to the HPC compute platforms;
- Maintain new development of User Database models, tools and web portals to manage people/users/project profiles, job logs, feedback reports, usage statistics, software benchmarking, etc.
- Collaborate with the other departments in the maintenance and development of systems for tracking and managing projects, e.g. technology evaluations, HPC Ecosystems project, etc.
- Support and develop web interfaces and a number of public facing sites including Indico support and Moodle support for managing events/conferences arranged for online courses delivered by the CHPC.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or related fields with at least five years’ experience in delivering on software development projects;
- A Postgraduate qualification(s) would be advantageous;
- Strong skills in Python and Django with a demonstrated record of accomplishment and experience of delivery on projects where this knowledge and skills have been applied is required;
- Experience, knowledge and skills in most of the following areas would be advantageous:
- Advanced Linux, including administration of web and email servers;
- Bash scripting;
- Website/web front end development;
- Knowledge of VM’s;
- Cron jobs;
- Schedulers such as Torque or PBS Pro;
- C/C++, Java, etc.
- Ability to pick up and learn software support concepts and technologies quickly and independently;
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment where changing priorities and new challenges may be unpredictable;
- Strong interpersonal relationship and communication skills are essential, as collaboration with diverse individuals in a team setting is a key component.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at [email protected]
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history.
The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.