Geographical area: Secunda, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Sasol Mining operates six coal mines that supply feedstock for our Southern African integrated value chain. The coal supplied to Secunda Synfuels Operations (SSO) is mainly used as gasification feedstock and some is used to generate electricity. The coal supplied to Sasolburg Operations (SO) is used to generate electricity and steam. We also export coal from the Twistdraai Export Plant to international power generation customers via the Richards Bay Coal Terminal.
Purpose of the job
- Management of the engineering, mining and service provider maintenance processes and management systems within the appointed area of responsibility to enable various mining teams to reach production targets within the principles of QCDSM
- Implement and sustain new systems including digital transformation
- This position carries a 2.9.2 legal appointment for the mine
- Supporting the mine in delivering on safe production within the budgeted allowances for engineering, mining and service providers
- Managing relationships between the mining, service providers and engineering departments
- Ensuring that the various sets of legal requirements as well as sound mining and engineering principles are met with in the operational environment
- Influx of new technology that requires highly skilled workforce to manage the complexity
- The management of service providers operating in the area of responsibility, providing sufficient supervision, guidance and leadership
- The management of the procurement and supply side of the operational environment
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
1. (Safe Production) – Manage and carry out engineering and mining maintenance strategies / overhaul plans regarding conveyor belt installations on a day to day basis that ensure that departments PI’s are met.
– Maintenance and service provider cost within budget
– Adherence to overhaul / maintenance program – plan vs. actual
2. Implements operational projects.
– Ensures engineering, mining and service provider compliance to all company standards and regulations in area of responsibility
– Develop and implement engineering, mining and service provider Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in appointed area of responsibility
– Ensures adherence to sound maintenance principles and legislation
– Compliance to governance bodies (standardization committees)
– SOP / COP implementation and adherence
3. Assess economics and viability of non-major business cases and provides specific, on the job expertise and coaching.
– Total cost of ownership (TCO)
– % delivery against OE/BI/Siyenza initiatives
4. Carry out condition monitoring programs in appointed area of responsibility.
– Compliance to Condition monitoring program schedules
– Failure trend analysis and root cause identification and elimination
– Execution and schedule compliance of the work management process
5. Safe Production – Support departments to achieve set targets by coordinating planning within appointed area of responsibility.
– Safely and sustainably operate all conveyor belt installations and ancillaries below the average conveyor downtime target (15min/shift) and average weekly opportunity tons target (3000t/week)
6. (Finance) – Control costs to ensure production volumes are achieved within budget.
– Delivery against budget and reporting calendar vs. target
7. (SHE) – Ensure best in class safety performance and continuous improvement of key safety metrics to maintain required RCR.
– SHE compliance rates vs. targets (especially major findings), % outstanding actions on findings
– Zero harm, Zero fatalities, LWDCR
8. Recruitment, training, coaching and career development.
– Vacancy rates vs. Staff Establishment (vacancies incl. absence due to TSD / PSD), AWOP and Successors for critical positions
– Key role turnover rate vs. industry average, absenteeism, employee engagement and enablement score (%), Tons/man/year, Monthly bonus targets
– Training days for department
– Planned Task observations
- This position has a 2.9.2 legal appointment and is accountable for managing the operational engineering, mining solutions and governance within the area of appointment at a mine within a highly regulated industry
- Remote locations, Equipment and infrastructure are underground and may be located over a wide area, the availability must be managed to ensure production targets are met
- Complex interfaces with contractors and suppliers also exits
- Information from various sources needs to be analyzed, interpreted and integrated to make trade-off decisions in the best interest of the area of responsibility
In line with Sasol’s commitment to Employment Equity, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
In addition to a pre-employment medical examination, some positions may require a physical fitness assessment, as part of the normal pre-employment selection criteria.
GR12/N3/NCV L4 with Maths & Science
A valid Trade Test Certificate
Relevant Engineering Degree (B.Tech, B.Eng. B.Sc.Eng)
5 years Foreman experience
Typically 18 month’s supervisory experience as EIT
Valid red ticket
First Aid certificate
Gas Testing Certificate
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- PEOPLE LEADERSHIP
- Inspirational – Authentically and inclusively engages people to follow; leads culture transformation
- Builds Talent – Builds capability and leverages diversity for competitive advantage
- SELF-MASTERY – Takes accountability for driving own growth through developing self-awareness, reflecting, seeking feedback and self-correcting
- PARTNERSHIP LEADERSHIP
- Influential – Persuades and influences stakeholders; builds relationships and partnerships for win-win outcomes
- Collaborative – Builds teams and creates synergies through working across boundaries
Failure to provide Sasol with truthful information and valid documents will render your application null and void.
Please note that the Sasol Group/ Sasol Mining will never request you to make cash deposits/ payments as part of the recruitment process.
Follow us on:
YouTube | LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | http://www.sasol.com/